Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:55:54
ALBANY,Burley Garcia N.Y. (AP) — “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz, who set New York City on edge with late-night shootings in the 1970s, was denied parole after his twelfth board appearance.
Berkowitz, 70, was rejected after a Board of Parole prison interview on May 14, according to information listed on a state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision web site. Officials with the corrections agency would not provide additional information on Tuesday.
Berkowitz terrorized the city with a series of shootings that killed six people and wounded seven beginning in July 1976. The shooter targeted young women and couples sitting in cars. The papers called him the ”.44 Caliber Killer.” In taunting notes to police and a journalist, he called himself “Son of Sam” and said he received demonic messages to kill.
Berkowitz was arrested Aug. 10, 1977, a little more than a year after the first victim, Donna Lauria, was shot and killed in the Bronx.
The New York Police Department formed a 200-person task force to find the killer. The case was finally cracked after a witness reported a strange man on the street near the final shooting. Police checked traffic tickets that had been issued in the area and traced them to Berkowitz’s car and home in nearby Yonkers.
Berkowitz was sentenced in 1978 to the maximum prison term of 25 years to life for each of the six slayings. He first became eligible for parole in 2002.
Berkowitz has since expressed remorse and said he is a born-again Christian. He is being held at Shawangunk Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison about 60 miles (97 kilometers) north of New York City.
veryGood! (946)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Will northern lights be visible in the US? Another solar storm visits Earth
- Homeless families to be barred from sleeping overnight at Logan International Airport
- Queer – and religious: How LGBTQ+ youths are embracing their faith in 2024
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Hawks trading Dejounte Murray to Pelicans. Who won the deal?
- Former Northeastern University lab manager convicted of staging hoax explosion at Boston campus
- Gilmore Girls' Keiko Agena Reveals Her Dream Twist For Lane Kim and Dave Rygalski
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Nelly Korda withdraws from London event after suffering dog bite in Seattle
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- New Jersey governor signs budget boosting taxes on companies making over $10 million
- Tropical Storm Beryl forms in the Atlantic Ocean, blowing toward the Caribbean Sea
- Delaware Supreme Court reverses ruling invalidating early voting and permanent absentee status laws
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Here are the numbers: COVID-19 is ticking up in some places, but levels remain low
- Horoscopes Today, June 27, 2024
- Video shows a meteotsunami slamming Lake Michigan amid days of severe weather. Here's what to know.
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Biden speaks at NYC's Stonewall National Monument marking 55 years since riots
Over 130,000 Baseus portable chargers recalled after 39 fires and 13 burn injuries
Nicole Scherzinger Explains Why Being in the Pussycat Dolls Was “Such a Difficult Time
Trump's 'stop
MLB trade deadline: Top 18 candidates to be dealt as rumors swirl around big names
Film and TV crews spent $334 million in Montana during last two years, legislators told
Frank Bensel Jr. makes holes-in-one on back-to-back shots at the U.S. Senior Open